Saturday, December 16, 2006

Next to the Last Day...

The morning began by sneaking out the back door at 6:45 AM. Took up a lookout post by a tree not far from what was a very busy deer browsing area the day before at 7:00 AM. Well, ya know what...They showed up from behind me. Was I ever one unhappy person when I heard the deer snort and take off since they were able to see and smell me from the direction they had arrived in. I decided I would go inside for awhile only to find another group was following on the heels of the first. In the afternoon I headed for the back timber. Wouldn't you know it; upon picking a spot the very object of my hoped for goal ran as fast as they could across the ravine and disappeared. I stood in one place for almost 2 hours. There was only one other deer that passed in the neighborhood after being spooked by the gun fire going on at the property just north of me. The weather was very moderate for a mid December day. It was cloudy with mist, but for some reason the moisture didn't hit me as I tried to be invisible , concealed in the rose brush.