Sunday, March 22, 2009

Shed Hunting

The weather has been absolutely wonderful for Shed Hunting. I have spent portions of three days looking through the pastures and timber areas. Sadie accompanied me yesterday. Then she went with hubby and I to take a look around the southside of the property today. Our goal was to find a match to get a pair for #4. I found that particular shed sticking out from under pasture grass, bent from the winter snow,in the north pasture yesterday before noon. It looks like it has already gone through a whole year of weathering to me. Number 3 was the first shed I found yesterday in a very conspicuous location just feet from the fence line between the pasture and the infamous corn field of last Fall and Winter. Shed #2 was found in a totally different direction. Close to a fence line too...This time along the ravine south of the house. The chewed shed, #1 , was found last year, behind my big garden. I left it outside on the front deck for decoration. As you can see, the little creatures came to reclaim what they considered to be theirs. The squirrels came to file down their teeth. They were the only ones caught in the act of wittling, but the groundhog tracks left yet another clue to the ever shrinking antler. If it should be that I don't locate another antler this Spring I will be happy...The collection is starting to grow. ;)

12 comments:

Deer Passion said...

Looks like you have some good finds! The nice weather does make it so enjoyable!

CDGardens said...

Deer Passion - Yes, this year did bring some nice sheds. It encourages one to participate in the activity again. ;)

SimplyOutdoors said...

I have honestly never found a shed. I guess it's just bad luck or something.

Those are some great finds. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I have never gone shed hunting, however, I have began to give it some thought. Looks like you were on the right "track".

CDGardens said...

Simply Outdoors - This is the first year I have seriously made an effort to find sheds. I have found others by chance, usually one a year.

CDGardens said...

Mel - You know there are always "first times". I keep trying for those - to do something different.

I hope you can find some place to get some elk and deer sheds. They had some elk in addition to the others on display during the Iowa Deer Classic,very majestic.

Marian Ann Love said...

I have never been shed hunting. You have really got a nice collection there. I bet that is lots of fun! :)

CDGardens said...

Marian Love Phillips - It is fun to go look for sheds. The thoughts of"where should I look?", does arise. I took the binoculars to see if I could save some steps but I just walked where I could anyway.

The Hunter's Wife said...

Those are really nice sheds. Do you have plans for what you might do with them?

CDGardens said...

The Hunter's Wife - We are going to be building a basement home soon that is going to have a cabin motif. I would like to incorporate them in some utilitarian fashion.

I have seen the chandeliers, pulls and drawer knobs for the kitchen made from sheds.

I know that there are auctions as well to cash in on nature's bounty. ;)

Paul Steeve said...

Do you have a "plan of action" when you look for sheds? I've heard to walk fence rows, bedding areas, and other places a buck might wander to. The only sheds I have ever found were stumbled upon while hunting. Do you have any suggestions that might put a few more sheds in my collection?

CDGardens said...

Extreme Outdoors - I too have heard the ideas you listed as places to start the search for sheds. This year I found my sheds near fence lines. The one I found last year was in an area frequented by bucks. Other single sheds I have just come across on the farmed portion of our property.

The key is to get out and see what you can find shortly after they drop them. No hard and fast rule here. ;)